The Open Hearth Hotel enjoyed extraordinary popularity when its doors first opened to the public on the 16 th June, 1949. There was a friendly word, a cheerful smile, pleasant surroundings for the customer and a homely atmosphere.
In 1961, the Open Hearth gained the title as the Top Country Pub in N.S.W. and held that title for 12 years. Much of the hotels success was its location close to the new Warrawong Shopping Centre, an icon in its day, and its popularity amongst the Port Kembla Steelworkers who gathered here after a hard day’s work. We have been told stories of it being 10 deep at the bar sometimes waiting for up to half an hour for a beer. Amazing!
Today we continue to progress the Hotels success with our traditional pub atmosphere, renovated facilities throughout, great staff and service, cold beer and good classic pub food.
A pleasant surprise from the old days!